I love this soup! I have been making it for years. It is always a hit whenever I take it to someone after a baby or for other reasons. It freezes well, too. Just freeze the soup and add the tortellini after it has thawed.
Sausage Tortellini Soup
1 lb sweet Italian sausage
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
6 cups beef or chicken broth (The original recipe called for 1 cup white wine, but since I don't drink, I never have white wine just laying around! So, I increased the broth. I always use the canned broth and use 3 cans)
8 oz fresh cheese tortellini (I always buy the twin package at Costco and keep it in the freezer)
1 cup carrots, thinly sliced
1 29 oz can crushed tomatoes
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
grated Parmesan cheese
Brown sausage, remove from pan and drain. Set aside. Saute onion and garlic until tender. Add broth, carrots, crushed tomatoes, basil, oregano, tomato sauce and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes. Skim off any fat and stir in tortellini. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes or until the tortellini is cooked through. Garnish with Parmesan cheese.
*The original recipe also called for 1 1/2 cups sliced zucchini. I never add it because I ate zucchini once when I was pregnant and it made me sick. So, now I never eat zucchini. If you choose to add zucchini, add it about 10 minutes before the tortellini.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment